Learn by Doing
The Postgraduate Internship program allows you to gain experience through a structured, 12-week work integrated learning experience, where you get to work with actual companies in the community and throughout the United States. During the internship, you'll work side by side with managers who are not only invested in your learning, but also in your ability to provide significant contributions to the organization.
An internship gives you the opportunity to put your newly learned skills, knowledge, and experience to practical use with an organization in Southern California's Inland Empire, or throughout the U.S.! This experience gives you first-hand knowledge of U.S. business practices and professional experience, to be competitive in the workforce or even on your graduate school application - all while continuing to earn academic credits.
UCR University Extension collaborates with the Global Career Center (GCC) for internship placement to help students apply their newly acquired skills on the job through a GUARANTEED internship with an American company, where they can capitalize on learning from and with a DIVERSE and MULTI-CULTURAL workforce. GCC partners with educational institutions around the world, host organizations from a wide range of industries, and learners of all ages to connect employability and education through collaborative program development, comprehensive services delivery, and curated experiential education.
We offer internship positions within diverse industries:
- Corporate Finance and Banking
- Public Relations
- Social Media Marketing
Start-up Development and Entrepreneurship
The internship is a crucial part of your postgraduate diploma. Each quarter, we will train you to gain the career management skills necessary to prepare for your future.
"I learned a lot working in the American workplace. It exactly relates to my career goals as I have a Bachelor's in Biomedical Engineering and this experience will help me get a job anywhere." -- Arantxa Rodrigues, Portugal
- Go to classes in language and business, and do coursework as indicated by your chosen program
- Develop a general understanding of business principles while focusing on the essentials for professional development starting the first week of class
Attend skills workshops, such as:
- Creating an Eye-Catching LinkedIn Profile
- Developing an American-Style Resume
- Choosing a Company for your Internship
- Sharpen your core skills by taking courses in your area of study, such as engineering, marketing, finance, and tourism.
- Meet one-on-one with your internship coordinator to identify your Unique Selling Points.
- Develop a digital portfolio to create a professional web presence to serve as a resource in pursuing future employment opportunities.
- Determine your internship host company with the help of the internship coordinator. Final placement will be confirmed two to three weeks before the start date.
- Start your internship! This is where all the theory comes into practice.
- Learn how the American workplace operates, and gain a clear understanding of assigned roles and responsibilities, and how they relate to the organization's goals.
- Look into extending your stay with Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Graduation! Take time to celebrate your hard work and take advantage of your expanding professional network.
Miyuki Akamatsu did her internship with Phenix Technology, Inc., an industry recognized manufacturer of high quality safety products built to NFPA and OSHA industry standards. During her internship she observed and participated in the various elements of the business including production, administration, finance, supply chain, marketing, international trade, and quality. She was especially helpful with marketing products to customers by updating the website and content for international buyers.
We have dedicated staff to give you the best tools to find your internship. Most internships are in local, mid-sized businesses, though occasionally, they may be located in other parts of California or in another state.
Examples of companies that have provided internships to our students include (but are not limited to):
- Aadi Bio
- APA Tax Accountant
- Berkeley Search Consultants
- Booth & Associates LLC
- Building Decarbonization Coalition
- Building Resilient Communities
- Center for Industrial Biotech
- CLD PR
- Cochran Consulting
- Dreams in Detail
- Dreyers Ice Cream
- DS Canby LLC
- E-Graphic Design Inc
- Formula Marketing
- Greenwich Village Chelsea Chamber of Commerce
- Hoston Entertainment
- National Core
- Teco Diagnostics
Trade Capital Corporation