Use the Veterans Benefits You've Earned: Veterans of the U.S. military who have available educational benefits can enroll in a UCR University Extension certificate program. We are approved by the Veterans Educational Benefits Program. Veterans, veteran dependents, and others eligible for veterans education programs should determine their benefits prior to enrolling in courses. Educational benefits only apply toward approved certificate programs.

Accepted Benefit Chapters

  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD/Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR/Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP/Chapter 1607)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Chapter 31)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

For detailed information and eligibility for these chapters, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

For more information on how you can use your Veterans Benefits, read our VA Factsheet.

Tuition Assistance - Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts: UCR University Extension currently participates in the Department of Defense (DoD) Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. This program provides financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing a certificate program of study at UCR University Extension. For program eligibility requirements and restrictions, please contact Military One Source at 800.342.9647 or you can visit their website. If you would like to use MyCAA benefits at UCR Extension, please review the following steps to enrollment:

  • Establish your MyCAA account at the MyCAA website.
  • Create your Career and Training Plan at the MyCAA website. Make sure you are selecting University of California Riverside Extension as the designated school.
  • Within 30 days of each course start date, a current MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) voucher must be submitted to the UCR Extension office. You can send the form in via mail or fax to: UCR University Extension, Attn: Veterans Affairs, 1200 University Avenue, Riverside, CA 92507.

Note: If you are unable to access the MyCAA website, please contact 800.342.9647 for assistance.

CalVet College Fee Waiver: UCR University Extension programs and courses are not included in the CalVet College Fee Waiver benefits to dependents of disabled or deceased veterans who are enrolled in a California public college.

Student Responsibilities: VA funded students are responsible for notifying the VA Representatives immediately of any action affecting their enrollment status - whether a class has been enrolled in or dropped. Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits. Satisfactory progress toward the stated student objective must be maintained. A veteran student on academic or lack of progress probation status will be disqualified when his/her grade point average (GPA) falls below 2.0 for two consecutive quarters.

Additionally, we require that students shall at all times when on the classroom premises conduct themselves in an orderly and considerate manner, shall appear for classes in a sober and receptive condition, and shall adhere to the UCR Standards of Student Conduct. Violation of these standards is just cause for dismissal.

Verification of Enrollment: Students are also responsible for verifying their enrollment with VA. Almost everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for the month.

Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by: