This course will present theoretical and practical guidance on fiduciary duties of board members, executive directors, and staff. It explores legal and financial standards and their application to real-world situations and presents an operating framework of fiduciary responsibilities which will enhance the achievement of an organization’s goals and mission, creating sustainable and more powerful impact. While successful governance and management of nonprofit organizations is essential to the achievement of their mission-driven goals, many organizations focus on their mission to the detriment of these crucial aspects thus leading to severe consequences and unsuccessful outcomes. Understanding fiduciary concepts can simplify organization management, increase impact, and create sustainable organizations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal and theoretical underpinnings of fiduciary duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and assess fiduciary issues related to non-profit management.
- Develop an understanding of the indicia of positive and negative fiduciary issues.
- Develop an ability to build a sustainable organizational structure resistant to conflicts of interest and fiduciary dysfunction.
- Develop an understanding of methods to establish and communicate effective fiduciary management to staff, board members, regulatory agencies, donors, and the public.