The course is designed to unleash the power of the nonprofit sector through advocacy. It flows from a deep belief in the role of nonprofit organizations in identifying solutions and finding common ground and an unwavering commitment to the communities and people who they serve. The class provides a framework meant for the use of nonprofit board members and staff in order to have constructive discussions about the importance, and ability of their organizations to advocate for long lasting change. The theoretical and practical perspectives are reflected in a series of tools and approaches that complete the class and empower students to launch conversation about advocacy with various constituents, better relate to certain groups and environments and build customized advocacy action plans.
- Understand the legal aspects of nonprofit advocacy
- Students will examine ways in which both staff and board members can engage in advocacy work
- Students will learn the components of an Advocacy Action Plan
- Students will examine and reflect on successful models of advocacy
- Evaluate peers final project and provide meaningful feedback