Introductory Supplementary Authorization in Computer Science Education
Increase Student Engagement and Spark Career Goals
Prime the Next Generation of Tech Leaders
This Computer Science Supplementary Teaching Credential Authorization program is jointly offered through a UC Riverside and UC Davis partnership. Courses are offered at both campuses.
Increase your reach in education with an authorization in computer science. STEM education continues to be on the rise, providing opportunity for teachers to advance their knowledge and students to gain valuable skills to provide them with an edge-up in the workforce. Computer science is a vast area, offering opportunities across a span of industries, depending on your specific skillset. This online program will prepare you to teach a comprehensive computer science curriculum, including computational thinking, computing practice and programming, software design, data structure and algorithms. Complete 4 classes to earn an Introductory Authorization and teach in grades 9 and below, or add one more class to earn a Specific Authorization to teach up through grade 12. Make your mark in STEM education and help pave a path of success for our students.
Est. Tuition $3,778
Learning Format Hybrid
Duration 12 months **Duration times can vary talk to your student success coach for more information.
Total Units 15 Units
- How computing systems and digital devices function, and how they have contributed to various disciplines
- Best practices in problem solving techniques and fundamental computing concepts including decomposition, data representation and algorithms
- High-level programming languages and advanced software design
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- One of the following valid, unexpired, California teaching credentials:
- Multiple Subject
- Single Subject
- Standard Elementary
- Standard Secondary
- Special Secondary
- Please note that there is no application required to begin taking courses toward the Introductory Computer Science Authorization, however, we recommend that you apply by the third course if you would like UCR to assist with the filing of CTC paperwork at the completion of the required courses. You can apply, free of charge, below.
- Successful completion of 15 units with a grade of C or better.
- Upon program completion:
- The candidate may request the assistance of UCR Extension to file the appropriate paperwork with the CTC or the candidate may apply on their own to the CTC.
- If the candidate would like UCR to assist, please complete the online “Completion Verification” application. Please note, a university $75 "credential filing fee" will apply.
- Upon verification by Student Services that all requirements have been met, the Credentials Office will mail the required CTC paperwork to the candidate’s home address in 10 business days. Please complete the application and mail back to the Credentials Office with a $100 check or money order made out to “CTC”. At this time, the CTC does not accept online applications.
- Upon receipt, the Credentials Office will process the paperwork within 24 hours. A (C19) letter is then mailed to the candidate as verification of completion.
- CTC can take up to six months (50 business days) to process paper applications. Please review CTC's website to verify issuance. The candidate will not receive a document in the mail as the CTC has gone completely paperless.
CTC NoticeThe final decision regarding an applicant's academic eligibility for a supplementary or subject matter authorization will be determined by CTC staff when the documentation is submitted and the application is evaluated.
Take a seat in our Virtual Classroom to discover more about learning formats.
We offer multiple start dates to give you flexibility in your eduction, life and work schedules.