Apply Your Expert Knowledge
Forensic nursing, like traditional nursing, is divided into several specialty areas such as the sexual assault nurse examiner, crime scene and death investigator, the correctional nurse, and psychiatric nurse. Nurses who have an interest in the forensic aspects of healthcare provide necessary services for the victims of violence. Furthermore, law enforcement and the legal community are now realizing the positive impact forensic nursing is having on case outcomes. The ability to recognize forensic issues and to preserve, document and collect evidence are essential skills of today's healthcare professional.
Est. Tuition $4,500
Learning Format Online
Duration 9-15 months **Duration times can vary talk to your student success coach for more information.
Total Units 16 Units
- Registered nurses
- Other licensed medical professionals
- Collect forensic evidence
- Communicate with the various members of the multidisciplinary forensic team
- Provide treatment for triage and emergency intervention for patients who exhibit potential forensic issues
- Identify and adhere to basic policies and procedures required for conducting sexual assault examinations
- Understand the social and political implications of escalating violence
- Comprehend and apply a standardized body of scientific knowledge for death investigation and the forensic evaluation of the deceased, the circumstances, and the environment
- Understand the concept, development, function, and collaboration of the multi-disciplinary team
- Describe and relate forensic nurse professional practice issues to the nursing process
- Understand the ethical practice in forensic nursing and applicable scope and standards of practice, both nationally and internationally
- Describe recommended techniques for collecting, preserving, and documenting forensic evidence to meet legal guidelines for admissibility in court proceedings
- Registered nurse
- Licensed vocational nurse or equivalent
- Nurse practitioner
- Physician's assistant
- SANE certified nurse
- Licensed paramedic
Take a seat in our Virtual Classroom to discover more about learning formats.
Your Journey Starts Here
Is this program right for you? Get the facts.