Bilingual Authorization (BILA)

Bilingual Authorization (BILA)

Bilingual Authorization (BILA)

Online Program


12 months



Request Info

The demand for teachers with a Bilingual Authorization is increasing as many school districts are implementing Dual-Immersion programs and expanding them to higher-grade levels creating more job opportunities for teachers who are proficient in a second language. Immerse yourself into this exciting new program and help students gain English language proficiency, while strengthening and maintaining their primary language.

The Bilingual Authorization (BILA) is a Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) approved program that provides teachers with coursework as an alternative to taking CSET: World Languages IV and CSET Spanish V. Now is your chance to take advantage of this great opportunity to apply your Spanish language skills in the classroom. Facilitate the language acquisition process for English language learners and open an exciting new door in your career.

Designed For

Teachers who are fluent in Spanish whom would like to teach in a Bilingual and/or Dual Immersion classroom.

What You'll Learn

  • Methods of instruction for bilingual education and the concept of bilingualism, including language acquisition and development.
  • Effective approaches to understanding cross-cultural, intercultural and intra-cultural relationships and interactions.
  • The role of primary language instruction in the dual-language setting.
  • Overview of the historical, legal and legislative contexts of bilingual education in the U.S.
  • A detailed look into the four domains of language – listening, speaking, reading and writing.
  • The relationship between culture/cultural diversity and academic achievement/development.
  • Language systems, forms, functions, and factors that influence second language development.
  • Effective assessment tools and strategies for English Learners, and methods for academic content instruction.

What You Can Do With This Certificate

Dual Immersion and Bilingual teaching positions are available in both private and public schools.

Completion Requirements

To earn the Bilingual Authorization, individuals must complete all five courses listed below for a total of 18 quarter units, with a grade of B or better; or participants may combine passed CSET World Language IV or CSET Spanish V subtests with coursework, to meet all requirements.

EDUC X426.50 Orientation: Bilingual Authorization (Credit)
EDUC X426.51 Survey of Bilingual Issues (4 units)
EDUC X426.52 Assessment and Methods of Instruction in Bilingual Settings (6 units)
EDUC X426.53 Reading and Biliteracy in a Second Language (4 units)
EDUC X426.54 Culture and Diversity in Bilingual Settings (4 units)

Earning the Bilingual Authorization through UCR Extension carries an added benefit that very few programs offer; the “blended” option. Instead of having to pass all subtests of the CSET exam or complete all of the required coursework to become certified, this “blended” option allows you the flexibility to combine CSET exams with coursework.

Blended Option

Must complete the orientation and apply for candidacy.

CSET Exam Passed You Do Not Have to Take These Courses
CSET World Languages Subtest IV
Educ X426.51 Survey of Bilingual Issues
Educ X426.52 Assessment and Methods of Instruction in Bilingual Settings
Educ X426.53 Reading & Biliteracy in a Second Language
CSET Spanish Subtest V Educ X426.54 Culture & Diversity in Bilingual Settings

Upon program completion: The candidate must request the assistance of UCR Extension to file the appropriate paperwork with the CTC. To request a verification, complete the online application here. Pay a $75 administrative fee, as well as a $102.50 credential fee, paid directly to the CTC, upon recommendation.

Program Overview


18 Units

Real People. Real Results.

“The instructors in my online program, Elaine Giron and Stephanie LaQua, were exceptional. They had a wealth of knowledge in their field and did a wonderful job of conveying ideas to the students. They made the learning interesting, fun, and applicable. They created a safe and positive classroom environment via the internet which promoted communication, resolve, and confidence.”

Dave Abdalla

Victorville Unified School District
Victorville, CA

Earning the Certificate

Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:

  1. Bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution
  2. Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
  3. One of the following valid California teaching credentials:
    • Multiple Subject
    • Single Subject
    • Education Specialist Level I or II
    • Education Specialist Preliminary or Clear
    • Speech-Language Pathology or Clinical or Rehabilitative Services with a Special Class Authorization
    • School Nurse Services Credential with Special Teaching Authorization in Health
    • Visiting Faculty Permit
    • Children's Center Permit (excluding emergency)
    • Child Development Permit (excluding Assistant or Associate Permits)
  4. English Learner Authorization or CLAD certificate; can be earned and verified by:
    • a valid Language Development Specialist (LDS) Certificate, CLAD Certificate, teaching credential with an English Learner Authorization or CLAD emphasis, or
    • eligibility for a CLAD Certificate or teaching credential with an English Learner Authorization based on one of the following:
      • passing scores on Subtests 1, 2, and 3 of the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) Examination; scores used for certification purposes may be no older than ten years from the individual passed exam dates.
      • possession of an out-of-state credential showing an English Learner Authorization.
      • possession of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certificate in Early and Middle Childhood/English as a New Language or Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood/English as a New Language.
  5. Passing score on CSET Spanish III exam
    • scores used for certification purposes may be no older than ten years from the individual passed exam dates, or
    • teachers who hold a valid, non-emergency California Single Subject or Standard Secondary Teaching Credential in Spanish need not take CSET Spanish III to qualify for a bilingual authorization in that language; teachers who hold a three-year or higher degree from a foreign institution in which all instruction is delivered in Spanish also do not need to take CSET Spanish III to qualify for a bilingual authorization in that language; the foreign institution must be equivalent in status to a regionally-accredited institution of higher education in the United States; an official foreign transcript evaluation is required for verification.
  6. Access to a Dual Immersion or Bilingual classroom for the duration of the program.

Applying for Candidacy

Your first step is to enroll in the orientation course, EDUC X426.50. This course is open year-round and is comprised of a brief, 40-minute PowerPoint presentation and a mini quiz. An application is also required to start the program. The application is only available to students enrolled in the orientation course. Please verify the application deadline prior to enrolling in the orientation.

For more information see How to Earn a Certificate

Certificate Courses

Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.


Orientation: Bilingual Authorization

EDUC X426.50

Quarter 1

Survey of Bilingual Issues

EDUC X426.51

4 units

Quarter 2

Assessment and Methods of Instruction in Bilingual Settings

EDUC X426.52

6 units

Quarter 3

Reading and Biliteracy in a Second Language

EDUC X426.53

4 units

Quarter 4

Culture and Diversity in Bilingual Settings

EDUC X426.54

4 units

Instructor Spotlight

“After my first year of teaching, I spent a year in Central America learning Spanish. When I returned to California, I began teaching ELL students in the classroom, and I could totally relate to how they felt learning a new language. UCR Extension has a superb program to further California teachers' knowledge to help ELL students find academic success.”

Elaine Giron

Project Specialist
English Language Development
Menifee Union School District

close [x]

Submit Feedback

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.

Add Supporting Files