Learn the difference between an apprenticeship and internship.
Open Doors to a Better Future
Our dynamic program is designed to benefit both student apprentices and regional employers. Apprentices have the opportunity to earn while they learn, and employers gain local workers trained with niche skills for advanced IT, logistics, and manufacturing jobs. We are seeking to serve military veterans, military spouses, underrepresented populations in apprenticeships including women, people of color, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated individuals that are looking for apprenticeship opportunities. Anyone can apply for this opportunity.
This program is brought to you by the U.S. Department of Labor’s H-1B Apprenticeships: Closing the Skills Gap grant program.
Meet the Needs of Our Thriving Economy
The Inland Empire of Southern California is booming with more job vacancies than ever, without enough skilled workers to hire. Rather than recruiting from outside the region for advanced IT, logistics, and manufacturing work, the UCR Extension Apprenticeship Program is investing in our local workforce. When we come together, we can help both local candidates and regional organizations thrive. Although anyone can apply for this opportunity, the grant program targets unemployed and underemployed individuals, veterans, military spouses, underrepresented populations in apprenticeships including, women, people of color, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Students receive guided and customizable training while getting paid
- Employers fill in-demand jobs with qualified local candidates
- Increased employee retention for employers that hire apprentices
- Our Inland Empire economy thrives with highly-skilled locals
How it Works: for Student Apprentices
- Get in touch with our Career Services Advisor and share your career goals.
- Customize the coursework and apprenticeship to fit your schedule.
- Learn new skills and grow in your career, with mentorship along the way.
How it Works: for Employer Partners
- Get in touch with the Program Coordinator to share your organization’s hiring needs.
- Customize the apprentice’s coursework and mentorship to fill your hiring gaps.
- Hire employees who are prepared for long-term growth with your organization.
Southern California Needs High Skilled Workers More Than Ever
Companies like Amazon and Target are saying...
"We can’t find candidates to fill the advanced IT, logistics, and manufacturing jobs we have available."
"We’re having to hire people that have skills other than those we’re really looking for."
"The Inland Empire is trying to develop greater opportunities in our area, rather than recruiting from LA for advanced technical positions."