Course Number: PHYS X452.1
Designed to enable AP teachers to help students develop a deep understanding of physics content, and a focused application of knowledge through inquiry-based labs. An overview of the AP Physics I Curriculum Framework will be explored, with an emphasis on preparing new teachers for the audit and focus on inquiry-based pedagogies. Special attention will be given to activities that promote student understanding, and to the assessment of student written responses. New sample multiple-choice and free response question items will also be discussed. Particular attention will be paid to developing new classroom material for Physics I (especially regarding rotational mechanics) with significantly more depth than in the AP Physics B course. Although a non-calculus approach will be used, AP Physics C teachers would also benefit from the discussion of these topics, as this has been an area of weakness for students in the past on the AP Physics C exam.
- Please set-up your student NetID and password at least 7 days before the course start date to ensure access to the WiFi connection in the classroom. Trouble setting-up your NetID? Email: email@example.com.
- College Board Scholarship recipients cannot register online. To register as a scholarship recipient, please mail or fax your Enrollment Form along with a Copy of your Letter of Commitment and Award Letter to Student Services (fax: 951-827-7273). Please note that you will be invoiced for the total amount due if payment from the College Board is not received by the course start date. The registration for Scholarship Recipients is for non-credit ONLY.
- School districts enrolling teachers for APSI courses also ONLY pay for the non-credit fee. District POs cannot be processed online. Please send POs along with an Enrollment Form for each teacher to Student Services by mail or fax to 951-827-7273.
- If you are registering as a Scholarship Recipient or were registered by your school district with a PO and would like to pay the additional $100 fee to receive credit (3 quarter units), please contact Student Services at 951-827-4105. The deadline to pay for credit is July 18, 2017. A letter grade will be awarded to students registered for credit (assignments due to receive credit will vary between courses).
- Further detailed information regarding the course will be emailed to students a few weeks before the course start date.
Please contact APSI Program Coordinator, Brenda Montiel, at 951-827-1661 / firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.
$795 Early Bird Discount ends on Jun 18
$845 after Jun 18
$695 (Non Credit) Early Bird Discount ends on Jun 17
$745 after Jun 17
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu 8:00 am-4:00 pm APSI check-in will take place at the UCR Extension Center, Conference Room E located at 1200 University Ave., Riverside, CA 92507 at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 17, 2017. Parking permits and classroom number/location will be provided during check-in. 4 Meetings
Jul 17 - Jul 20, 2017
APSI check-in will take place at the UCR Extension Center, Conference Room E located at 1200 University Ave., Riverside, CA 92507 at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 17, 2017. Parking permits and classroom number/location will be provided during check-in.
Extension University VillageMap
Institute fee includes breakfast, lunch, College Board materials, and parking. Registering online automatically includes the credit ($100) fee. To register for non-credit ONLY, please contact Student Services.
No Textbook Required.