This program is NCLB compliant and authorizes you to teach science curriculum designed for grades 9 and below; giving you the necessary subject matter competency through coursework alone, versus having to take the CSET, as long as you do not want to teach a specific science content area (i.e. biology only).
This authorization can be added to any of the following valid California teaching credentials: Single Subject, Multiple Subject, Standard Elementary, Standard Secondary or Special Secondary.
Teachers holding a valid Single Subject, Multiple Subject, Standard Elementary or Standard Secondary Teaching Credential who are interested in teaching Science.
What You'll Learn
- An interdisciplinary approach to biological sciences
- Fundamental concepts of chemistry
- Hands-on approaches to geology through on-site field exploration and classroom activities.
- Physics concepts including energy, electricity, magnetism, heat and waves.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Teaching positions are available in both private and public schools.
“Pursuing an Authorization in Science really boosted my career. This program conveniently offers courses on Saturdays, online and during the summer. Instructors offered authentic scientific experiences through hands-on activities, collaborations, and field trips.”
Eighth Grade Science Teacher
Moreno Valley Unified School District
Moreno Valley, CA
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- One of the following valid California teaching credentials:
- Multiple Subject
- Single Subject
- Standard Elementary
- Standard Secondary
- Special Secondary
- Successful completion of 48 units with a grade of C or better. This must include a minimum of 8 units in each of the following four areas: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Geosciences and Physics.
- The coursework must include a one-year sequence of courses in at least two of the listed subject areas, and at least one course must include a laboratory component.
- Upon program completion:
- Student must notify the Credentials Office via email firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone (951) 827-1661.
- Upon verification that all requirements have been met, the Credentials Office will mail the student a checklist with the appropriate recommendation paperwork.
- Student completes the recommendation paperwork and mails it back to the Credentials Office with a $70.00 check or money order made payable to "CTC."
- Student pays the UCR Extension $50.00 "Credential Filing Fee-Education" to Student Services by calling (951) 827-4105.
- The Credentials Office then recommends the student to CTC. A C19 letter is mailed to the student as verification of recommendation.
- CTC can take up to six months to process recommendations. Please review CTC's website ctc.ca.gov to verify issuance. You will not receive a document in the mail as the CTC has gone completely paperless.
UCR Extension only submits recommendations to CTC on behalf of students who have completed all of the coursework through UCR Extension.
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Biological Sciences and Lab
Chemistry I: Introduction to Chemistry
Principles of Geology for Educators
Introduction to Concepts of Physics
Introduction to Science
Environmental Science and Ecology for Educators
Chemistry II: Structure of Matter and Chemical Bonding
Introduction to Astronomy for Educators
Concepts of Physics: Mechanics
Topics in Biological Sciences
Chemistry III: States of Matter, Chemical Reactions and Nuclear Chemistry
Weather and Climate
Concepts of Physics: Electricity and Magnetism
Chemistry IV: Physical Chemistry and Organic Chemistry
Botany for Educators
“My students always tell me that they've enjoyed learning new science concepts, and love having new hands-on, inquiry-based lessons to take back to their classrooms. I really love working with other adults. It's very special to get to laugh and share and learn with other teachers. I learn just as much from them as they do from me!”
Riverside Unified School District
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.