For an entry-level position, but it can also benefit anyone who wishes to build and support home or small business computers and networks.
What You'll Learn
- Help Desk concepts, operation and support
- PC hardware and architecture (A+ certification training)
- Physical and virtual networks including hubs, routers, Ethernet, TCP/IP protocols (Network+ certification training)
- Security concepts and procedures (Security+ certification training)
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in a variety of industries all over the world, and can be found in companies, government or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Computer Repair Technician
- Computer Technician
- Computer Hardware Technician
“I highly recommend this certificate. The instructors do a great job of presenting complex information. They all work in the industry, and teach best practices as well as real-world practical applications of the information.”
Computer Resources Specialist
Dept. of Information Technology, UCR Extension
Earning the Certificate
- High school education or equivalent
The program prepares participants to take industry certification exams such as:
- A+ certified professionals
- Network+ certified professionals
- Security+ certified professionals
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
A hands-on exploration of PC architecture focusing on troubleshooting, repairs and help desk support. Examines PC hardware, Windows, basic networking and printers. A+ is a testing program from CompTIA certifying computer technicians.
The IT Help Desk is a key component of a successful information technology program. Understanding your organization's needs for a Help Desk and Planning for its successful operation is key to managing an efficient and effective IT Help Desk. The course covers key Help Desk concepts including developing a new Help Desk operation, refining operations and ensuring success for your IT Help Desk support functions.
Survey the design, installation, maintenance, and administration of a variety of physical and virtual networks including Microsoft Windows.
- Network hardware including network interface cards, hubs, bridges, switches, and routers
- Networking technologies like Ethernet and the TCP/IP protocol
- Prepare for the CompTIA Network+ certification
- Prepare for Cisco Systems, Novell or Microsoft certifications
Designed to enhance your knowledge in security concepts, tools and procedures and demonstrates how to react to security incidents. You will develop skills to both anticipate and guard against security risks. Prepares you to sit for the Security+Certification Exam SY0 - 301.
“What I enjoy most about the IT industry is that you are never bored, since every day brings a new piece of technology to learn. Earning the Computer Technician Professional Achievement shows potential employers that you have a solid understanding of Windows computer maintenance and support.”
System Administration and Team Leader
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.