For those individuals who are:
- Social workers, advocates, or counselors who work with the frail, disabled, elderly, chronically ill, veterans, juveniles, substance abusers or other vulnerable populations such as the homeless
- Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Other healthcare professionals who may or may not be a licensed medical professional
What You'll Learn
- Assessment criteria to increase quality and continuity of care.
- How to determine and use the appropriate strategies to reduce costs or lapse in coverage.
- Methods to develop communication skills to support client-centered goals and promote advocacy and collaboration.
- How to grow positive relationships with community agencies and other resources.
- How to increase access to services; analyze needs; develop initiatives; and track and evaluate progress.
- How to navigate the clients through the U.S. healthcare system to get appropriate resources based on individual needs.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in clinical and non-clinical settings focused on the frail, disabled, elderly, chronically ill, veterans, juveniles, substance abusers or other vulnerable populations such as the homeless. They might include:
- Community Case Managers
- Substance Abuse Counselors
“After a career hiatus caring for my family and mother, I obtained my Professional Certificate in Case Management. The cutting-edge experience was exceptional, and I am now beginning a new chapter as an RN Case Manager. The high-quality, flexible online program was conveniently scheduled, and the experienced instructors and students were a great support. What are YOU waiting for?”
Legal Nurse Consultant and RN Case Manager
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Associates degree or higher, AND patient or clinical care experience or knowledge
- Licensed healthcare or social services professional.
- California Board of Registered Nursing continuing education credit (provider #11713)
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Effective Case Management: Connecting to Healthcare Systems
Effective Case Management: Connecting to the Community
Effective Case Management: Connecting to Client
Introduction to Life Care Planning (LCP)
Job Analysis by the Field Case Manager
New Opportunities for Healthcare Advocacy
Financial Coverage and Benefits Systems in Case Management
“I enjoy seeing students apply abstract principles at bedside, and have their professional lives shaped by insights gained from the material and thoughtful conversation. Fostering compassionate care through teaching is what I focus on most in my class. My students learn to reflect deeply on their personal views about ethical issues, then see how this exercise strengthens the role of caregiver.”
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.